When it comes to buying a diamond, one of the most important factors to consider is the clarity of the stone. Diamond clarity refers to imperfections or flaws in the diamond, known as inclusions. These inclusions can vary in size, type, and location within the diamond, affecting its overall quality and value.
In this ultimate guide, we will explore the world of VS2 diamonds, a popular clarity grade that offers a balance of quality and value. Whether you’re in the market for an engagement ring or a stunning piece of diamond jewelry, understanding the nuances of VS2 diamonds will help you make an informed decision.
Understanding Diamond Clarity
When we talk about diamond clarity, we are referring to the presence of imperfections within the stone. The Gemological Institute of America (GIA), the leading authority in diamond grading, uses a clarity scale to evaluate the clarity of a diamond. This scale ranges from flawless (FL), meaning the diamond has no visible inclusions or blemishes, to included (I3), where the diamond has noticeable imperfections visible to the naked eye.
Here is the scale of the GIA clarity grade:
- Internally Flawless (IF)
- Very Very Small Inclusions 1 (VVS1)
- Very Very Small Inclusions 2 (VVS2)
- Very Small Inclusions 1 (VS1)
- Very Small Inclusions 2 (VS2)
- Small Inclusions 1 (SI1)
- Small Inclusions 2 (SI2)
- Inclusions 1 (I1)
- Inclusions 2/3 (I2/I3)
The clarity grade of a diamond is determined by the number, size, type, and location of the inclusions. The higher the clarity grade, the fewer noticeable imperfections the diamond has. This, in turn, affects the value and price of the diamond. It’s important to note that the diamond clarity scale is a relative measure of a diamond’s clarity and does not indicate its overall quality or beauty.
What Is VS2 Clarity?
VS2 clarity is a grade on the diamond clarity scale. It stands for “very slightly included 2” and indicates minor inclusions in the diamond. These inclusions are typically difficult to detect and often require magnification tools to be visible. While visible inclusions may affect the diamond’s clarity grade, they are not noticeable to the naked eye.
VS2 diamonds offer a balance of quality, value, and noticeable imperfections. They are a good choice for those seeking high clarity grades without the price difference of higher clarity grades. Inclusions in VS2 diamonds are minor and do not significantly impact the overall appearance of the stone. This makes them an excellent choice for larger stones, where the inclusions are less likely to be visible.
Types of Inclusions in a VS2 Clarity Diamond
VS2 clarity diamonds may contain a variety of minor flaws or inclusions. Some of the most common inclusions found in diamonds include pinpoint inclusions, clouds, feathers, and crystals. Pinpoint inclusions are tiny dark spots, while clouds are hazy areas caused by a cluster of small inclusions. Feathers are small cracks or fractures within the diamond, whereas crystals appear as small mineral deposits.
The type of inclusions in a VS2 diamond can vary, and their impact on the diamond’s clarity grade depends on their number, size, and visibility. It’s important to carefully examine the types of inclusions in a diamond before making a purchase, as they can affect its overall quality and value. With the help of magnification tools, the visible inclusions in a VS2 diamond can be carefully examined, giving you a clear view of the diamond’s clarity.
VS2 Diamond Pricing And Chart
Various factors, including cut, color, carat weight, diamond shape, and overall quality influence the pricing of VS2 diamonds. Typically, VS2 diamonds are sought after for their balance between clarity and cost, offering a relatively high level of purity without reaching the premium prices associated with higher clarity grades.
Below is the approximate chart of VS2 diamond prices in lab-grown diamonds:
|Dollar Price (Approximate)
|0.50 carats round brilliant cut diamond
|0.75 carats round brilliant cut diamond
|1.00 carats round brilliant cut diamond
|1.50 carats round brilliant cut diamond
|2.00 carats round brilliant cut diamond
|2.50 carats round brilliant cut diamond
|3.00 carats round brilliant cut diamond
How to Buy a Loose VS2 Diamond?
If you’re considering buying a loose diamond, clarity grade is an essential factor to consider. A loose diamond, without the setting of a piece of jewelry, allows for a more in-depth examination of its clarity characteristics and also allows you to customize your jewelry depending on your choice. When purchasing a loose VS2 diamond, there are a few key points to keep in mind:
- Consider the color grade of the diamond to its clarity grade. The color grade, ranging from D (colorless) to Z (light yellow or brown), can affect the overall appearance of the diamond.
- VS2 diamonds provide good value, especially when purchased in a loose state. Their clarity grade ensures a balance of quality and value, making them a popular choice among diamond retailers and jewelers.
- The cut of the diamond is crucial, as it determines the diamond’s light performance. Choosing a well-cut diamond will optimize its brilliance, fire, and scintillation.
- Consider the carat weight of the diamond to its cut quality. A diamond’s carat weight refers to its size, while the cut quality determines how well the diamond reflects light.
Is It a Good Idea to Buy VS2?
When considering a diamond purchase, whether for an engagement ring or diamond jewelry, buying a VS2 diamond can be a good decision. Generally, the choice of a VS2 diamond depends on personal preferences, budget considerations, and the specific characteristics of each stone.
|VS2 diamonds offer a good value, providing a high clarity grade without the price difference of higher clarity grades.
|Some noticeable imperfections in a VS2 diamond, although minor, may affect its overall clarity grade and value, which can be a drawback for those seeking flawless diamonds.
|Minor inclusions in VS2 diamonds make them a great choice for larger stones without compromising quality.
|The lower clarity grade of a VS2 diamond may not appeal to those looking for diamonds with higher clarity grades.
|The visible imperfections in a VS2 diamond are often minor and not noticeable to the naked eye, making it a good choice for diamond jewelry.
|VS2 diamonds have a lower clarity grade compared to higher clarity grades such as VVS1 or VVS2, which can impact the price difference between diamonds of different clarity grades.
|The availability of diamonds in the VS2 clarity range is relatively abundant. This gives you a broader selection to choose from, allowing for more flexibility in finding the perfect stone.
|While most VS2 diamonds are eye-clean, some may have inclusions that are visible without magnification. It’s essential to carefully inspect each diamond to ensure it meets your specific clarity preferences.
|With great value, a VS2 diamond offers an excellent option for engagement rings, ensuring a perfect balance of quality and price.
|In the VS2 category, the types, sizes, and locations of inclusions can vary. Some stones may have inclusions near the center, impacting brilliance, while others may have inclusions near the edges, minimizing their visibility
Difference Between VS1 vs. VS2 Diamonds
While both VS1 and VS2 diamonds fall under the same clarity grade category, there are very few noticeable differences between the two.
VS1 diamonds have minor inclusions, which may or may not be visible under 10x magnification. On the other hand, VS2 diamonds have minor flaws that are visible under the same magnification. The minor inclusions in a VS2 diamond are often not noticeable to the naked eye, making them a good choice for diamonds that appear flawless.
VS1 diamonds have fewer and smaller inclusions, they are less likely to have structural integrity issues. This makes them suitable for settings with prongs and fine details, as the risk of inclusions affecting the diamond’s stability is minimized.
While still suitable for most jewelry settings, VS2 diamonds may be chosen for pieces with slightly less intricate designs. The larger inclusions, though still small, might be a consideration when choosing settings. However, many VS2 diamonds are eye-clean and structurally sound, making them a popular choice for various jewelry styles.
When it comes to price, VS1 diamonds command a little higher prices compared to VS2 diamonds due to their higher clarity grade and fewer inclusions. However, it’s important to note that the difference in clarity grade may or may not impact the overall appearance of the diamond, depending on the type and visibility of inclusions.
What’s Better: VS1 vs. VS2 Diamond Clarity?
While both VS1 and VS2 diamonds offer high clarity grades, the question of which is better depends on the individual’s preference and requirements.
VS2 diamonds may contain noticeable inclusions, although they are minor and not visible to the naked eye. This makes them a good choice for those who prioritize price and a diamond that appears flawless.
VS1 diamonds, on the other hand, have minor inclusions that are visible under magnification tools. This clarity grade offers a higher level of assurance in terms of the diamond’s clarity, making it a great choice for those who value a diamond with minimal visible imperfections.
Best Shapes For VS2 Diamonds
When it comes to choosing a diamond shape, certain shapes are known to enhance the beauty and clarity of a VS2 diamond. Here are the best diamond shapes for VS2 diamonds:
- Brilliant cuts, such as round and princess cuts, are known for their ability to maximize a diamond’s brilliance. These diamond shapes have faceted structures that reflect light and enhance the diamond’s overall sparkle. With a VS2 clarity grade, brilliant cuts intensify the diamond’s light performance, making them a great choice for VS2 diamonds.
- Asscher cuts, with their step-cut facets, offer a unique yet refined look. These diamond shapes have a larger table facet, which can showcase the clarity of a VS2 diamond. The cut quality of an Asscher cut, combined with the lower clarity grade of a VS2 diamond, can create a stunning diamond choice.
- When it comes to larger stones, diamond shapes like cushion cuts can provide a good balance of clarity, carat weight, and brilliance. The larger facets of a cushion cut can help minimize the visibility of inclusions in a VS2 diamond.
Shopping for VS2 Diamonds: A Step-by-Step Guide
Buying a VS2 diamond can be an exciting journey, filled with choices and considerations. To help you navigate the process, we’ve compiled a step-by-step guide to shopping for a VS2 diamond engagement ring or diamond jewelry.
- Understand the Basics:
- Familiarize yourself with the 4Cs of diamonds: Cut, Color, Clarity, and Carat weight. In this case, focus on the Clarity aspect, with VS2 being a very good quality choice.
- Set a Budget:
- Determine your budget range. Knowing how much you’re willing to spend will help you narrow down your options and focus on diamonds within your price range.
- Prioritize Preferences:
- Consider what aspects are most important to you. Are you looking for a larger carat size or a specific shape, or do you prioritize clarity? Understanding your preferences will guide your search.
- Clarity Characteristics:
- Understand the nature of inclusions in VS2 diamonds. While they are generally small and not visible to the naked eye, examine the clarity plot in the diamond certificate to identify the location and type of inclusions.
- Verify Certification:
- Ensure that the diamond comes with a reputable grading certificate from a recognized gemological laboratory (e.g., GIA, AGS, IGI). This document provides a comprehensive assessment of the diamond’s 4Cs and serves as a guarantee of its quality.
- Consider the Setting:
- Think about the type of jewelry setting you want. A well-designed setting can enhance the diamond’s appearance and hide any small inclusions. Consult with jewelers on setting options that complement a VS2 diamond.
- Ask Questions:
- Reach out to the seller or jeweler with any questions you may have. Inquire about the diamond’s specific characteristics, return policies, and any additional services they offer, such as resizing or warranties.
- Make the Purchase:
- Once you’ve found the ideal VS2 diamond that meets your criteria and fits your budget, proceed with the purchase. Ensure the transaction is secure, and you understand the terms and conditions, including the return policy.
- Final Inspection:
- Upon receiving the diamond, inspect it thoroughly. Verify that it matches the description on the certificate and meets your expectations. If there are any concerns, contact the seller promptly.
By following these steps, you can approach the process of shopping for a VS2 diamond with confidence and make a well-informed decision based on your preferences and budget.
Are VS2 Diamonds Worth the Investment?
Choosing a VS2 diamond can be a worthwhile investment, balancing high quality with cost savings. With small inclusions typically invisible to the naked eye, VS2 diamonds offer an eye-clean appearance and a significant reduction in price compared to higher clarity grades and are worth the money.