Lab grown diamonds are also popularly known as cultured or cultivated diamonds. These are much in demand these days and have been widely accepted by people worldwide. Natural diamonds face a little controversy when it comes to getting to know their origin and their mining process, but with lab grown diamonds, there has been no conflict till date. Many people are not too aware of and still have doubts regarding the lab’s authenticity made diamonds. They are still in a fix when it comes to deciding or choosing which type of diamond is more feasible to purchase.
This informative article by finegrowndiamonds will help you get an insight into all the fascinating facts related to lab created diamonds. It will also clarify any doubts you have regarding the manufacturing of diamonds in the laboratory.
1) One can find lab grown diamonds addressed in various names such as lab made diamonds; lab cultivated diamonds, cultured diamonds, lab created diamonds, chemical vapor deposition (CVD) diamonds, or HPHT Diamonds.
2) Diamonds made in the lab can be created using two methods. Firstly, through the chemical vapor deposition method, carbon particles can settle on diamond seed and accumulate to form diamonds under controlled conditions. The other method is by exposing the diamond seeds to high pressure and temperature, replicating the conditions natural diamonds found under the Earth’s crust undergo.
3) The production of lab-made diamond has increased extensively over the years and has reached close to about two million carats until the year 2019 and is most likely to cross over twenty million carats by 2026.
4) Diamonds created in the lab are not synthetic diamonds. Lab made diamonds are real and authentic diamond pieces as they have pure carbon properties and also entirely resembling those of earth mined diamonds. Moissanite or Cubic Zirconia (CZ) can be termed synthetic or artificial diamonds since they only resemble beauty and have no properties of natural diamonds or carbon properties.
5) Diamonds created in the lab are not synthetic diamonds. Lab made diamonds are real and authentic diamond pieces as they have pure carbon properties and also entirely resembling those of earth mined diamonds. Moissanite or Cubic Zirconia (CZ) can be termed synthetic or artificial diamonds since they only resemble beauty and have no properties of natural diamonds or carbon properties.
6) Almost every diamond cultivated in a laboratory is of premium quality and qualifies as type IIa, which is by far the best form of diamond in the market. Diamonds like these are hard and have a brilliance level that exceeds a traditional diamond of type Ia. The perfection reflected by lab diamonds can only be found in around 2% of naturally occurring diamonds.
7) Lab made diamond is more ethically produced and has various environmental and ecological advantages as compared to mined diamonds. They are more sustainable as their making procedure in the lab is free from environmental damages, pollution of water bodies, water wastage, deforestation or disturbance to land while mining. It also eliminates the harmful mining effects of diamonds has on the environment by reducing waste generation and land distortion.
8) Lab manufactured diamonds are also more economical and affordable than mined diamonds since they do not include the cost of mining. Therefore, lab made diamonds are available at almost 25-30% less price than natural diamond. Also, lab diamonds create employment opportunities for a large number of people, thus, caring for the society and its people.
9) Another fact that makes lab created diamonds stand out is that it is conflict-free. They are sourced ethically from first world countries. They are also cruelty-free since the miners and workers do not have to undergo unhealthy and dangerous working conditions. The operators manufacture diamonds in the laboratory, maintaining all safety norms.
10) Lab cultured diamonds undergo the process of diamond grading in similar labs where natural mined diamonds are graded and certified. The exact similar 4Cs technique is also applied to lab made diamonds for their certification and grading parameters.